Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Reduced Sugar Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Ingredients for the cookies include:
2 cups all purpose flour (I used wheat pastry flour and they came out fantastic)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I grated 1/2 of a nutmeg)
1/ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of butter (you could use applesauce to lighten the recipe)
1 1/4 cups of Whey Low Granular (sugar substitute)
2 large eggs, let them sit at room temperature before adding
1 cup of pumpkin, not pie filling
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling:
4 ounces of 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons of butter, softened
1/2 vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of Whey Low Powdered Sugar
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheets with parchment paper for the best results.
2) Combine all dry ingredients on a piece of parchment for ease in adding later. Cream all wet ingredients together, adding eggs one at a time. Slowly add dry ingredients until well combined. Drop by heaping teaspoons on to lined baking sheets.
3) Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on baking sheets and them remove to a wire rack until completely cool.
4) Cream the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a small bowl on medium with a mixer until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
5) When cookies are completely cooled, spread a heaping teaspoon of icing onto the flat side of one cookie and close with the flat side of a second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies. Since these have cream cheese in them, store in an air tight container in the refridgerator.
To all you weight loss patients, I was able to have one without dumping. Keep in mind that they maybe low in sugar, but they are still rocking in carbs......LOL