Mushroom Quinoa - The Healthier Risotto!
1 - 8 oz. container portobello mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 cup of quinoa
3 - 4 cups of vegetable stock
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese - freshly grated
salt and pepper to taste
1) Place the olive oil, leeks and mushrooms in medium pan and saute for 5 minutes until the leeks become translucent. The mushrooms will absorb the oil, but do not add additional oil, it will eventually release once the mushrooms begin to cook.
2) While leeks and mushrooms are cooking, drain and rinse quinoa thoroughly.
3) Add 2 cups of vegetable stock to mushrooms and leeks and continue to cook mushrooms down to make a mushroom stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, leaving lid off to allow stock to reduce. This will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
4) Once mushroom stock is complete, add quinoa and one more cup of vegetable stock. Bring back to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Quinoa will first open it's "tail" and then when cooked completely the center will become translucent. This process will take at least 20 minutes. You may need to add more stock to get to the right consistency. This is very similar to making risotto. Quinoa is a complete protein and much healthier for us.
5) Once cooked completely, add parmesan cheese and sprinkle additional cheese over top for desired effect.